As parents, we sometimes try to have recipes in our rotation that can be made quickly, thawed or warmed up. Once you make a batch of these ABC Os, you’ll never go back and buy the canned stuff! YUCK-O!
I have a love affair with my immersion blender. It lets me puree hot soups and hide veggies in sauces without the hassle of cooling and moving it to a blender.
See how easy it is? Seriously. Make the sauce, blend and add cooked pasta.
This recipe has been such a hit with my kids that I finally included it in our MOMables menus.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes or tomato puree
- 1 14-ounce can crushed tomatoes or tomato puree
- 16 oz bag of ABC pasta, shells or macaroni, cooked
- Add all ingredients in a crockpot for 4-6 hours on low.
- With an immersion blender, puree sauce. You might have to add a bit of water until you have the traditional sauce consistency you like.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the bell peppers, carrots, celery, onions and garlic. Sauté until veggies are soft, about 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook for 1 more minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the tomatoes, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, puree with an immersion hand blender (or in a regular blender) until almost smooth.
- Return sauce to the heat and simmer until thick, 10-20 minutes. The longer you simmer this sauce the thicker and more flavorful it will become. You can simmer up to 2 hours